- Ph.D. Candidate in Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, expected 2021
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 2017
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland College Park, 2015
I am interested in learning how and what are the tools for scaling up the teaching of effective design thinking and fabrication skills that will enable Sub-Saharan Africa to internally engineer its own innovative global solutions.
- Graduate Student Researcher, Designing Education Lab
- Graduate Student Council Funding Committee Co-Chair and At-Large Representative
- Organizer of the Womxn of Color in Engineering Initiative
- Studio 1 Community Assistant
Professional Affiliations and Organizations
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Honors & Awards
- Diversifying Academia and Recruiting Excellence (DARE) Fellowship (2019)
- Stanford Alumni Association Community Impact Award (2019)
- ASEE 125th Annual Conference Best Diversity Paper Award (2018)
Kusimo, A., Sheppard, S. (2019) “Manufacturing Vulnerability: How Resource Scarcity Hinders Team Coordination in Manufacturing-Led Development in Nigerian Factories” American Society of Mechanical Engineers IDETC-CIE Annual Conference DTM Division.
Kusimo, A., Thompson, M., Atwood, S., Sheppard, S. (2018) “Effects of Research and Internships Experiences on Engineering Task and Innovation Self-Efficacy on Engineering Students Through an Intersectional Lens.” American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition.
Hobbies and Interests
Competitive Spoken Word poetry, Traveling, Cooking, Writing/Blogging, Running, Challenging dominant narratives, and Discovery through question-asking